Sunday, May 2, 2010

Smt. M.S. SubbuLakshmi - The Mother


This is my first post and I could never choose a greater topic to begin. I am a great lover of Indian classical music and so decided to start blogging as I realized that sharing is the most important form of learning.


I believe that there are innumerable households in India where every morning begins with the pure and devotional renderings by Smt. M.S. SubbuLakshmi. I remember days from my childhood when I often tried to mimic from the tape-recoreder at my home, not knowing the purpose or the meaning of the devotional hymns sung by the Mother.

One is bound to be mesmerized by her serene voice irrespective of which region he/she belongs to or what language he/she speaks.

Once, at college, we had the privilege to meet Dr. A.P.G Abdul Kalam who referred to the three mothers who inspired greatly in his life : 1. His own Mother 2. Smt. M.S SubbuLakshmi 3. Mother Theresa.

I completely share my thoughts with those of his.

A great deal of information about the legendary musician is available at
http://www.msstribute.org/
http://www.msstribute.blogspot.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._S._Subbulakshmi

My list of favorites (of M.S.S 's wonderful compositions and renderings) is unending.
She has made an amazing contribution towards popularizing many Annamachaarya Kritis and they are so efficiently sung that there is equal strength to the carnatic music part and the clarity of the lyrics.

No other voice inspires me and puts me to peace as M.S.S's. The musical prescription that many doctors suggest in order to wipe out stress and relax into meditation is often the serene voice of Smt. M.S.S.

Another great reason why I adore her is her utter resemblance to my grandmother whom I love the most in my life!(they share even the same name) She is an embodiment of beauty, dignity, devotion, purity and many other words the meanings of which are beyond my little understanding! (and yeah! I meant both M.S.S and my granny)

7 comments:

  1. The great mother music was unbelive in the history
    the gift of our indian people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are perfectly correct, MSS is the only beauty who aged gracefully, the divinity could be seen in her voice, face, her approach towards music fraternity everything others should follow.

    She is immortal as her cassettes will remain for centuries together.
    One thing common is even my mother resembles her in appearance as well in singing

    ReplyDelete
  4. really very great to choose this topic about M.S Subba Lakshmi, Our Indian Proud of her classical musical hits, I thank to sharvani to choose this topic
    N.S.UDAYA KUMAR
    ADVOCATE

    ReplyDelete
  5. MSS is the daughter of Laya, the Godess of Rythem! The Universe is born out of Rythem! The wonderful Sristy gifted Her to Us, the Humanity. She lived her life to the Tunes of Laya! She gifted US the frequency of her voice, which is nothing but pure and accurate pulse/freauency of the Laya which is the Creater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For indian classical music lessons,please visit http://www.onlinehindustanimusic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete